ten thousand places

ramblings, musings, questions, thoughts on literature, theology and life in general

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Another Christmas come and gone

This year Christmas makes me feel old. It was just so much more fun to get stuff for the kids and make magic for them than to get anything myself. Obviously I didn't do the "buy nothing Christmas" thing. Not that it wasn't tempting.

Last night Jeff read Luke 2 to us (kids sitting on the hearth all in a row) and then I read the first two verses of "On the Morning of Christ's Nativity" by John Milton to them. Let's just say that they weren't overwhelmed, but one can hope. I figure that if I make a habit of reading stuff like that to them then they'll either get used to it or come to value it...hopefully the latter. It was an attempt, at least, to stem the tide of human greed and focus for a moment on the enfleshment of God, who "forsook the courts of everlasting day/and chose with us a darksome house of mortal clay." (Milton)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home