ten thousand places

ramblings, musings, questions, thoughts on literature, theology and life in general

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

holidays a-comin

In the words of that great songstress Amy Grant (obvious tongue in cheek here), "life is hard, and it might not get easier." Jeff and I mock seriously quote that phrase often to each other. When I started this blog it was with great intentions to think deeply, or at least think about something every day and have a place to write it out (since my kids tune me out with eyes glazed over when I start raving about some abstract concept.) Well, that hasn't happened. Life is busy.

How about this though. Buy Nothing Christmas. Sounds a little freakish, maybe, but I like it on several levels. One, anti-materialism. Two, I really don't want to go in the hole anymore over brightly colored plastic non-real-meaning-of-christmas-walmart-junk. Three, it sounds like it would help facilitate a simple, meaningful time of enjoying family, remembering the birth of our Lord and all that means, and feasting with friends.

My realistic side knows that this means of observing Christmas might really tick my kids off, as well as my far-flung fam, spread to the four corners. Kids would feel ripped off royally.

I think I'm going to aim for some version of scaled-back gifts though - and it's not like I spend the national average already. It just seems like the holiday binge needs to cease.

Know what I mean?

2 Comments:

At Thu Nov 10, 11:31:00 AM CST, Blogger kaelum said...

my parents debate this yearly. their conclusion (which may or may not be "correct") is to aim for authentic gifting. so they try to give meaningful gifts. an engraved study Bible, an updated piece from grandma's jewelry collection, etc. and the $ limit on family gifts is lowered every year, as zach and i outgrew our toys-r-us mentality. i like this. and your family wont boycott you.

 
At Mon Nov 14, 08:43:00 PM CST, Blogger jigawatt said...

I just posted a satire news story on my satire blog about Christmas materialism.

Unfortunately, the information about the promotion itself is true.

Let me know what you think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home