ten thousand places

ramblings, musings, questions, thoughts on literature, theology and life in general

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Obligatory title-explaining post

First - this is probably instead of journaling. I like to think things (of varied topics) out by writing. Blogging is fun.

Second - I feel the need to make a disclaimer of some sort. If you know me (or don't know me for that matter) you may expect something different than you find here. Oh well.

Third - and most relative to the title of this post - I value the poetry of Gerard Manley Hopkins, and when searching for a name for this blog I picked up a book of sonnets I recently acquired. Flipping through, I was tempted by many quips and lines, but was especially struck by Hopkins' sonnet "God's Grandeur" (and just for the record, I don't recall right now whether you italicize titles of poems or put them in quotation marks) and its ending lines - however, blogger already had blogs with many variations of the last several words there. I tried a few other things, none of which worked, then ran upstairs for my good old Penguin Classics copy of the works of GMH, to look up a poem named "Inversnaid".

This title comes from the last three lines which speak of how "Christ plays in ten thousand places,/Lovely in limbs, and lovely in eyes not his/To the Father through the features of men's faces."

Feel free to question, comment upon, just read, or ignore my posts - just (please) comment with your name (if you have one). It's so much nicer that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home