ten thousand places

ramblings, musings, questions, thoughts on literature, theology and life in general

Thursday, August 10, 2006

crunchy con attempt

I've been reading Crunchy Cons by Rod Dreher, and after the chapter "Food" had decided to avoid any meat that is non-organic. It was pretty graphic. That was last night, and then today I found myself at McDonald's with Emmie. I guess it'll take a while to turn the ship. It wasn't totally a thought-out decision though. It was spontaneous - Jeff took the other two to the pool and I took her out and when she saw McD's she (still crying about dropping the others at the pool - and she can't go because she's sick) said - ever so sweetly - "how bout Meekdonall's then, momma?" and how could I resist? (And they have Polly Pockets - her fave - in the kids meals) So before I know what's happened I'm eating hormonally-grown antibiotic-and-poop-fed chicken. With extra sodium and fat. Whoops.

So far I really like the Crunchy Cons book though. Even if it grossed me out on any type of mass-produced non-organically grown meat. It's helping me clarify some of my discontent with being a conservative who isn't always happy with the GOP. And it helps me not to feel like such a freak for homeschooling! I get a little sick of the "oh-you're-one-of-those" looks I get from neighbors and other people who ask (when they see us out during school days especially.)

5 Comments:

At Fri Aug 18, 08:33:00 PM CST, Blogger jigawatt said...

So when Emmie said she was going to the restaurant with her friends, does that mean you and her at McD's?

Also, the link is broken. Linking to an amazon page is always difficult - it's so long! But the URL can be shortened quite a bit. For example, your link can be shortened to "http://amazon.com/o/ASIN/1400050642".

About not always being happy with the GOP. After seeing how unconservative the conservatives can be with spending (and some reflection on the whole "unequally yoked" thing), I changed my party affiliation from Republican to Independent.

 
At Fri Aug 18, 10:00:00 PM CST, Blogger judith crotts said...

That just makes me think "Ross Perot." You know?

 
At Mon Aug 21, 12:28:00 PM CST, Blogger jigawatt said...

My ears are way too small for that!

 
At Thu Aug 24, 03:16:00 PM CST, Blogger Anita said...

good to see a new post here! i agree with you on the food thing after reading that book! after i read the food chapter, my stomach turned a little bit when i saw the hot dogs in the fridge!

 
At Wed Sep 13, 03:23:00 PM CST, Blogger kaelum said...

i know that was forever ago. but you should read Dominion by Matthew Scully. i didn't agree with all of it but it had some excellent points about how we treat our food.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home